Let's Not Be the "Privileged Covidiots"

Alright, I'll be honest. Covid-19 DOESN'T CHANGE MY routine, IT DOESN'T AFFECT my life.

source: twitter


I still eat three meals a day, enjoying the same snacks. I still have the money to shop at the supermarket and find everything I need to survive, from food to toilet paper (which I don't really need that much).

Even my children can still safely play in the yard! They can still have fun, fill their tummy, and sleep well!

My scholarship is still flowing in (even though it is only enough for my living expenses here). My monthly salaries from Indonesia are still routinely sent every month (although it's value is reduced drastically when exchanged to dollars, D). My husband can keep his job, too, though it's not a high-paying one. The point is, instead of lacking, I feel very fulfilled.

And. . . I realized HOW 'PRIVILEGED' I am!

Not that I have zero problems, zero debt, or zero burden. I lead a normal life, with all its burden!

HOWEVER, COMPARED TO THOSE WHO ARE ECONOMICALLY UNDERPRIVILEGED, I AM REALLY "PRIVILEGED".

MEANWHILE . . .

Terrible news kept inundating my Facebook homepage. It's either news about hawkers and peddlers who cannot sell anything for the whole day or about medical personnel who struggle at the forefront of this Covid-19 "war" without adequate equipment.

(Of course there are also those who share "privileged" quarantine stories like me, either with awareness of their privilege, or oblivion).

Really my conscience was shook. Tears dropped unstoppably. But, more importantly, there is an urge to do something that can help those who are in misery.

That's when I became confused. Where should I start? To whom should I give my donation? Should I give it to those attempting to distribute free masks? Or, to those who lose their jobs? Should I give to Charity A, B, or C?

I was perplexed.

I then remembered the words of a religious leader in one of his sermons, "If we want to give charity, start with the people closest to us. Don't let any of our neighbors starve, or family members in difficulties."

My neighbors here are as 'privileged' as I am. Even those who are unemployed can get benefits from the government (greater than what I get from my scholarship LOL).

I was reminded of my mother and family in my hometown and her neighbors (most of whom are my extended family). I also remembered the people living behind my housing complex (mostly low-income local residents).

There's actually no reason to be confused.  These people are the ones I must help. They are my "closest" people. Family and neighbors. They are badly affected and really need my help.

I immediately contacted my mother and my former baby sitter who lived behind my housing complex.

The babysitter told me how her next door neighbor who is an old widow with no income has no "appropriate" food for her meals. Her story slapped my conscience awake.

Of course, because of the Covid-19 case, the old widow is getting more into difficulties, because maybe the neighbors who used to help her now also have difficulties.

I asked my former nanny to list anyone who has difficulty to access food. I will help with what I have.

I am not trying to "brag" about my petty actions.

My intention in sharing this story is to invite us to be more sensitive to others, especially those close to us - family and neighbors.

Look around us. Ask our neighbors, have they had their meals? Have they earned some money to survive today? Can they work today? Is their electricity still being cut because they can't pay? Can their children buy school uniforms, books, and other supplies? Is anyone sick but can't see a doctor?

Hopefully this Covid-19 case makes us more sensitive to the people around us. Help as much as we can. Act immediately.

One more thing we can do as "the privileged" is to NOT TO HOARD ANY FOOD AND OTHER BASIC NECESSITIES which will cause prices to skyrocket and economically underprivileged people to find it even harder to access these items.

Don't be the privileged covidiots!

Imagine if all those who lived a "privileged" life cared about others around them. How many can be helped?

Tasmania, 27 March 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memboyong Keluarga Kuliah di Luar Negeri: Bagian 1

Is PhD REALLY a Lonely Journey?: My "Crowded" Journey

The 'Perks' of Working from Home with Two Young Kids: Staying Positive in the Face of Covid-19