Me, Women, and PMS or PMDD

Today, as just any other day if I get my menstruation, my stomach really ached. I remember watching an advertisement for  correction of the term referring to the psychological condition  of women before menstruation comes. It said, "PMDD not PMS." PMDD stands for PreMenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, while PMS stands for PreMenstruation Symptoms. The former is not so popular as the latter. Then, I read this particular article which basically says that the two terms co-exist, instead of replacing each other. It is the difference in the degree of severity of the symptoms that distinguish the two. If you are interested in knowing more, you can this article: http://www.medicinenet.com/premenstrual_dysphoric_disorder_pmdd/article.htm.

So, I guess I'm having PMS because PMDD is really severe, according to the article. So severe that one could get so irritable for trivial things. I was irritable too with my husband; we argued over trivial things. I believed I said something that really offended him. When he was upset, I became even more upset than he was. Oh, such a trivial but painful argument. Not long afterwards, it's my stomach's turn to be upset. I had to swallow Advil to relieve the pain. How hormones hold control of our body's sensation, not just physically but also psychologically! How can we explain this to men? How will they understand that while we're suffering from PMS or PMDD, we tend to be so moody, easy to get irritated, and not feeling well physically?

Most of the time, even though I know I'm having PMS, I couldn't just control my emotions, my feelings, let alone my physical pain. How should I make other people around me understand it? Especially, how should I make my husband understand it? I really don't wanna hurt anybody, especially I really don't wanna hurt myself. I cried today. I guess it's one of the most successful medicines for my psychological pain, and of course, Advil for my physical pain.

It's really a pain for me to expect something that happens periodically without knowing how to prevent myself from hurting myself and the loved ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memboyong Keluarga Kuliah di Luar Negeri: Bagian 1

Is PhD REALLY a Lonely Journey?: My "Crowded" Journey

Jangan asal SCOPUS®